My Old DVBT/DAB/FM RTL2832 R820T Dongle

My old and still in use RTL DVBT/DAB/FM RTL2832 R820T SDR Dongle. This is one of those dongles from back in the day that came with a Matt-type covering. Over the years it has become like really sticky, and dirt attaches to it like crazy. Really good dongle though. Not 100% sure but I think it starts at around 25MHz and goes up to either 1.3GHz or 1.7Ghz. There still seems to be signals popping up at around 1.7GHz, so I think it goes up about that high.


Old_DVBT_DAB_FM_RTL2832_USB_COAX

Look at the state of it. It's all sticky. But it still works well. I just try not to touch it, ever. Top marks for reliability though. Gives off a blue light when plugged in.


There are much newer ones out now with better tech, but I've been surprised that after all these years most don't cover much more range than this one does. There are a few that go up to 2GHz by Hamgeek, but not many. This is one of the reasons why I haven't upgraded.

This one can pick up everything and more [because there are no gaps] that my normal analogue scanners can receive. It's got a coax connection. It's not bad at all, and I would buy another one of these. I bet they can be picked up for really cheap on eBay. My only issue with using it is radiation.

I think this dongle, and all dongles like this give off massive amounts of radiation [EMF] when in use. Even though the dongle is on the far end of a 5+ meter USB extension cable and over the other side of the room in the window, every time I use it I start to feel sick. I don't think this is a placebo or just a coincidence, I'm convinced it's this dongle.

Maybe I'm more sensitive to EMF than the average person, I don't know. But I don't feel like this [queasy] when I use a normal scanner. So, to be honest, this is the reason that makes me quite hesitant to use this dongle regularly over a normal scanner.

No comments:

Popular