GRE PSR 255 Beaten By ICOM IC-R6

Well, I'm always praising my old GRE PSR 255 hand held scanner, and talking about how it can pick up lots of signals and keep up with all the up-to-date scanners I pit it against. Well, it's over. While it is still a great scanner, It's been beaten to bits by the tiny ICOM IC-R6. What a scanner the R6 is. It's small, funnily small. But its powerful.


icom_ic_R6_lcrmadx


I was just listening to some people talking on the CB channels in America. I'm in the UK. It sounded like some guy from the hood talking about how he was the baddest man in his hood / ward. I was laughing hard, and quite amazed at the same time that this little receiver was picking up CB users in the USA. It also picked up another guy in the USA, who was much more civilized, and a few in Russia, too, by the sounds of it.

The ICOM IC-R6 had on an extended antenna. Quite a long one. But wow, I was impressed. I've also got a Watson W-801 and that is also very good. But yeah, comparing the CB signals between the 255 and R6 - swapping over the antennas from scanner to scanner, the 255 couldn't pick it up. I know. In some ways maybe its unfair to compare the two. The R6 costs much more and is newer. But an interesting test all the same.

I might write a little review on the ICOM IC-R6 soon. It's quite weird to use at first [like this one], but once I got familiarised with how it operates, it's actually quite nice to use. I can see why some radio enthusiasts / airbanders love it. A great receiver for how small it is. But definitely not for novice users of scanners.

No comments:

Popular