GRECOM PSR-295 Overview

I've been impressed with all the GRE / GRECOM receivers I've had over the years. I love reliability, and the GRE branded scanners I've had have always been reliable, and very capable. When I found out that GRE was Japanese [Japan-based], the reliability made sense. Even though mine says Made in China on the back lol. The PSR-295 is a really good scanner. It has way more features than I really need. But for the right person it ticks many boxes. Mine had an non-stock antenna, a Uniden Bearcat, and it seems like it was geared / fine tuned toward Airband frequencies. Picks up well in other areas too, but seemed stronger in airband.


GRECOM_Blogpost_review

Paused is monitor on this scanner


I like how easy it is to manually scan with the 295. The screen is also very good. I like scanners that have the orange / amber light up displays, and this model has a nice one. Only problem is, I think it largely contributes to one of the things I don't really like about this scanner. And that is the battery life. The battery life is quite poor. I always used normal batteries, but I would definitely recommend rechargeables or have it plugged into a mains adapter.


PSR_295_Radio_Scanner_Low_Battery

Those batteries drain pretty fast


One other thing I found requiring a bit more work to manage was the 1000 channels. I think this was a bit too much for me. And it seemed a bit confusing, as it just randomly picks a channel bank, so everything seemed a bit all over the place. Maybe it was just me, as I'm more at home with scanners that have 200 channels maximum. Each to their own I suppose.


33MHz_Receive_nothing_there


GRECOM PSR-295 Quick specification


1000 channels

Frequency Range:

25 - 88 MHz
118 - 174 MHz
216 - 512 MHz
806 - 960 MHz
1240 - 1300 MHz

Takes 4 AA batteries

The monitor function is actually called pause on this scanner. A one push button operation that works well. For an averaged sized scanner, its extremely light in weight. Personally, I like something that's got a bit of weight to it. With a bit of weight a radio feels better in the hand and feels like a well built quality item. This does feel fairly well-built, but its almost a bit too light. But some people might love that.





Overall its good. It has a dedicated HAM button, alpha tagging features, a PC / IF jack on the side so it can [I believe] be connected to a computer [I never did it], and a fairly good frequency range. I actually sold my one [in the pictures + video] not long ago. And it wasn't up for sale for very long. It was snapped up quickly. I don't regret selling it as I have many scanners, maybe too many. Including more GRE / GRECOMS, so I can't keep them all. But yeah, a good receiver. And at the right price I would buy another one.

No comments:

Popular